High Force Waterfall
Discover the force of nature at High Force, one of the most spectacular waterfalls in England, located at Forest-in-Teesdale, Co. Durham. Raby Castle is situated 20 miles further east at Staindrop.
High Force Opening Hours:
High Force is open for your enjoyment all year round. The gift shop is open seasonally from Easter until the end of October. During the low season from November until Easter an honesty box will be in operation. Please be advised that High Force may be closed during adverse weather conditions. Please telephone before travelling.
High Force will be operating Summer opening hours daily from 25th March onwards. The walk to the waterfall, the car park, and all visitor facilities such as the shop and toilets will be open. Car parking charges and admissions to the waterfall walk will apply, see below for details.
25th March 2013 – 31st October 2013: 10.00am - 5.00pm daily
Admissions to Waterfall Walk:
- Adult: £1.50
- Child (5 - 15 yrs): 50p
- Concessions: £1.00
- Car: £2.00
- Motorcycle: £1.50
Coach parking fees apply for school / youth group parties. Please book in advance.
- Canoe/Kayak: £3.00 per vessel
- Fishing Permits: Available from the Gift Shop
Prices may vary on special event days
From its rise as a trickle, high on the heather covered fells at the top of the North Pennines, to the top of the whin sill rock at Forest -in-Teesdale, the River Tees steadily grows and gathers pace, then it suddenly and spectacularly drops 21 metres into the plunge pool below.
The Woodland Walk:
The pretty woodland walk is approximately 1/3 of a mile, with several resting points along the way. It is a gently sloping gravel path.
- Accessible toilets
- Baby Changing Facilities
- Gift Shop (open seasonally) selling hot & cold drinks to take away, confectionary and souvenirs.
- Picnic areas
- Car park (charges as above)
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care. Children must be supervised at all times and dogs kept on short leads.
- The waterfall is accessible via a well-maintained gravel path, which may pose difficulties for wheelchair users. Strong companions are advised.
- The beginning of the woodland walk is 50m from the car park and is approximately 1/3 of a mile in length down an incline of about 1 in 10.
- The toilets and Gift Shop are accessible to wheelchairs.
- Adapted toilets are available.
- There are approximately 26 steps down to the viewing area at the base of the falls; wheelchair users can view the falls from the top of the steps. There are also approximately 78 steps leading to the top of the waterfall, however there is no access onto the rocks at the top of the waterfall itself.
- Designated disabled parking spaces are located closer to the woodland walk and to the gift shop and toilets.
- For further details please contact High Force - See Enquiries