Lord Barnard's Raby Estate is renowned for its wild bird shoot and is one of the "50 Best Sporting Estates" according to The Field (March, 2010) described as "… mixed sport in stirring landscapes".
The Estate is split into two separate shoots: Upper Teesdale Estate, which is an upland shoot; and Raby Estate which is predominantly a low ground shoot.
Comprising mainly of pheasants and grouse, a normal day might also include snipe, woodcock and wildfowl etc. The Estate also has good numbers of wild grey partridges, winning the G.W.C.T Durham and Northern Dales Partridge Trophy in 2011.
Enquiries are welcomed from interested parties. Our efficient team of gamekeepers will endeavour to meet your individual needs and requirements, ensuring that your time at Raby will be enjoyable and memorable with the experience of truly wild game.
- Services can be tailored to meet specific needs of the party.
- Transport can be provided.
- Arrangements for accommodation, ammunition and lunch can be made by the Estate.
Raby Estate Shooting Days
Lord Barnard’s Raby Estate, with Raby Castle at its heart, provides mixed shooting in a range of environments from moorland to arable farm land.
A range of day options for experienced guns are detailed below:
Raby Mixed Day Shooting
- 4- 8 guns
- Typical bag days of 5 – 10 mixed game per gun.
- Includes pheasant, woodcock, snipe, wild duck and goose, rabbits, pigeons and hares.
- Evening duck flights available on request.
Raby Driven Grouse Shoots
- 8 - 9 guns per outing
- Typical bag day 30-50 brace
Raby Walked Up Grouse Shoot
- 4 - 8 guns per outing
- Typical bag 15 – 20 brace
- Evening flights sometimes available
- 2 – 8 guns per outing
- Typical bag 5 – 10 wildfowl, comprising mallard, teal, wigeon & geese
Raby Roe Deer Stalking (sometimes available)
Lord Barnard's Estate offers a mixture of low lying arable land with mixed woodland, climbing gradually to higher moorland terrain which offers exciting stalking with some spectacular scenery on offer with a healthy well-managed population of roe buck.
- 1 -2 guns per outing
- Guide provided
Shooting Days in Upper Teesdale
Lord Barnard’s Upper Teesdale Estate is situated to the west of Raby Castle and rises to over 2000ft and therefore comprises mainly upland species in a moorland and moor fringe environment.
The following day options for experienced guns are available:
Upper Teesdale Grouse Shoots
- Bags can be tailored to clients’ requirements from 50 brace upwards.
- For those who have difficulty walking we have ATVs which would facilitate access to the butts.
- 8 - 9 guns
Upper Teesdale Walked Up Day
- 4-6 guns
- Small bag day (average 50 -75 head)
- Includes Grouse, partridge, pheasant, woodcock, snipe, duck (depending upon season)
Should be directed to:
Raby Shoot Days
Raby Head Keeper, Iain Alexander on firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper Teesdale Shoot Days
Upper Teesdale Head Keeper, Andrew Hyslop on email@example.com
Latest NewsNews Feed
Mon 18th February, 2019
Join us for our very first Official Dog Walk at Raby Castle...
Mon 11th February, 2019
Raby Castle is opening for February Half Term for the first time this...
Fri 15th February, 2019
To welcome the arrival of Spring brids at Raby we are...